Equal Opportunities & Diversity Policy
The purpose of this Policy is to confirm the commitment of Trendy Pooches Training Academy to tackle discrimination, promote equality and diversity and provide equality of opportunity. It has been developed to take account of all current and relevant legislation; which at the time of writing includes but is not limited to the Equality Act 2010. It sets out our intention to deliver a service and range of qualifications and accreditations that are fair, accessible and do not include any unnecessary barriers to entry.
Statement: Trendy Pooches Training Academy is committed to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst our workforce. Our aim is that, where possible, our workforce will be truly representative of all sections of society and each employee feels respected and able to give of their best. To that end the purpose of this policy is to provide equality and fairness for all in our employment and not to discriminate on grounds of gender, gender reassignment, marital status (including civil partnerships), race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, religion or age. We oppose all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination. All employees, whether part-time, full-time, temporary or volunteer, will be treated fairly and with respect. Selection for employment, promotion, training or any other benefit will be on the basis of aptitude and ability. All employees will be helped and encouraged to develop their full potential and the talents and resources of the workforce will be fully utilised to maximise the efficiency of the organisation.
· To create an environment in which individual differences and the contributions of all our staff are recognised and valued.
· Every employee is entitled to a working environment that promotes dignity and respect to all. No form of intimidation, bullying or harassment will be tolerated.
· Training, development and progression opportunities are available to all staff.
· Equality in the workplace is good management practice and makes sound business sense.
· We will review all our employment practices and procedures to ensure fairness.
· Breaches of our equality policy will be regarded as misconduct and could lead to disciplinary proceedings.
· This policy is fully supported by senior management and all our training centres
· The policy will be monitored and reviewed annually
· We recognise that everyone has a personal responsibility for the positive application of equal opportunities and the celebration of diversity.
Trendy Pooches Training Academy recognises that equality of opportunity cannot be achieved without:
· Developing procedures and practices which actively seek to promote equal opportunities and oppose discrimination;
· Training for staff, management and Trustees;
· Establishing an environment in which people feel free to challenge discrimination.
Conduct and general standards of behaviour
All employees are expected to conduct themselves in a professional and considerate manner at all times. Trendy Pooches Training Academy expects the following from all staff:
(a) Encourage respect for the individual;
(b) Encourage collective action to challenge prejudice and the structures that perpetuate it
(c) Challenge stereotyped images internally and externally and, in their place, promote positive images;
(d) Declare as unacceptable any language, action or belief which is prejudiced, or which encourages prejudice in others.
(e) Will not tolerate any form of behaviour, which is derogatory, demeaning or insulting to other persons or groups across the protected characteristics of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, gender and sexual orientation.
Areas covered by the policy:
In the provision of services and the employment of staff, Trendy Pooches Training Academy is committed to promoting equal opportunities for everyone. Throughout its activities, Trendy Pooches Training Academy will treat all people equally whether they are:
· Seeking or using our services.
· Applying for a job or already employed by us.
· Trainee workers and students on work experience or placements.
· Volunteer workers.
· Contracted workers e.g. EQAs and External Moderators
This policy applies to all aspects of employment including:
· Job advertisements;
· Recruitment and appointments;
· Conditions of work;
Trendy Pooches Training Academy recognises that everyone has a personal responsibility for the positive application of equal opportunities and that all employees, supervisors and managers must ensure that the Equal Opportunities and Diversity Policy is applied within any area under their control, within the framework in place and ensuring legal requirements. Trendy Pooches Training Academy will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of:
• Economic status;
• Ethnic or national origins;
• Family responsibility or status;
• Marital status;
• Religion or belief;
• Sexual orientation;
• Trade Union or political belief.
Trendy Pooches Training Academy will provide equality training and guidance as appropriate to staff; including as part of their induction training as well as further on-going courses as identified via our internal staff performance review arrangements.
Discrimination, victimisation or harassment are all considered very serious offences and will be treated as serious misconduct. All employees may be subject to disciplinary action for failure to adhere to the policy.
If an employee feels that he/she has suffered discrimination in any way, please refer to the Grievance Procedure.
Harassment of employees by third parties will not be tolerated and we will monitor any complaints about this to identify and resolve any problem areas.
Trendy Pooches Training Academy promotes equal opportunities by:
• promoting and widening participation in education and training, particularly by those people previously excluded
• improving the quality and flexibility of education and training;
Trendy Pooches Training Academy enable learners to have equal access to training and assessment for qualifications irrespective of their age, disability, economic status, ethnic or national origins or nationality, gender, marital status, race, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Assessment is undertaken without discrimination. Where complaints relating to issues of inequality cannot be satisfactorily resolved by the Trendy Pooches Training Academy, learners are aware of their right to appeal to Open College Network West Midlands via the arrangements outlined in our Complaints policy. All other services and activities provided by Trendy Pooches Training Academy , including conferences, staff training and professional development support will be underpinned by the commitment to equal opportunities principles.
Policy Review arrangements
We will review the policy regularly and revise it as and when necessary in response to customer and learner feedback, changes in our practices, actions from the regulatory authorities or external agencies or changes in legislation.
Owner: John Stewart
Review Date: 01/12/2020
You can download our Equal Opportunities & Diversity Policy document here.